Board games. Ah, the very words can transport you to the nostalgic land of game nights, where friendships are tested over a roll of the dice and the fate of nations hangs on the flip of a card.
Well yes, these games are still quite a riot because who doesn’t enjoy the thrill of competition and the sweet taste of strategic victories? But, let’s face it, as our schedules resemble a chaotic jigsaw puzzle, coordinating game nights can be trickier than explaining the rules of Monopoly in one breath.
The digital era, ever the superhero, has swooped into our rescue. In this article, we’ll look at how traditional board games have gone digital and why they’re still worth playing after all these years.
The Era of Traditional Board Games
The origins of board games can be traced back to ancient civilizations, where our ancestors engaged in strategic battles on boards etched in stone. The Royal Game of Ur is an ancient Sumerian game that dates back to 2600 BCE, and it stands as one of the earliest known board games.
Ancient Egypt also has a known board game called Senet. It was a game symbolic of the journey to the afterlife. Medieval Europe also saw the rise of chess as an intellectual game, while the Victorian era brought forth parlor classics like Snakes and Ladders.
The 20th century has given birth to iconic games that we probably all know like Monopoly and Scrabble. These are still games that are popularly played today, and many are now enjoying them online.
Rise of Digital Platforms Offering Board Games
So now enters the digital age that lets you enjoy board games as apps you can download for your smartphone and other mobile devices. There are even websites where you can play them so you won’t have to download anything.
If you want a more thrilling experience, there are also iGaming platforms that offer real money board games or at least games that are inspired by cult favorites like Monopoly.
Why Play Board Games Online?
But what makes playing board games online so enticing? The advantages are numerous, but convenience tops the list.
No need to set up boards, count pieces, or worry about losing any of your favorite game’s components.
It was quite a bummer when something like that happened, right? How many boxes of board games have stayed in your closets collecting dust because they’re no longer playable with their missing pieces?
Well aside from that, online platforms also provide a diverse gaming community. They have social features that allow you to challenge friends or connect with players anywhere in the world. So, even if your friends or family are too busy to play a game with you, you can still play with other online players. Some digital board games would even allow you to chat with them.
Popular Online Board Games Right Now
So, what are the board games that you can play online right now? Let’s have a look at some of the most popular titles:
- Ludo King: Remember that Ludo game you’d play with family? Ludo King brings that fun to your mobile device. You get to roll a virtual dice and move your pieces with enticing animations animations. You can also play this with real money on Ludo betting online sites like 10CRIC.
- UNO: We know playing this with real cards is incomparable, but this game is also now a popular app. It’s handy to have on your phone if you miss the thrill and you have no one to play it with in person. The best part? You can customize your UNO cards online.
- Qwirkle: If you had a phase when you can’t stop playing Candy Crush, you’ll have fun playing Qwirkle. This game is much more challenging and is now available online. You can also play this with random online players.
Some Tips for Playing Board Games Online
Now, before you find a board game to play online, here are some tips that can help you have an enjoyable gaming experience:
- Read the Rules: You won’t find a board game fun if you don’t understand how it works. Take the time to review the rules. You don’t have to master them right away as you can learn more and improve your strategies as you play the game.
- Strategize Wisely: Speaking of which, just like traditional board games, their online versions also require strategic thinking. Prepare yourself to face opponents with varying playstyles and understand the digital nuances of each game.
- Be a Gracious Player: Good sportsmanship is a timeless virtue, whether you’re at a physical game table or in a virtual space. Respecting the rules and your fellow players. Don’t be a toxic gamer. A friendly competition is always good to have.
While the charm of physical board games remains unmatched for socializing and enjoying quality time with friends and family, the digital evolution offers a convenient alternative. That’s especially the case when time is a precious commodity.
Online or not, playing these games is all about having fun. So, here’s to good times as you enjoy your favorite games.