Gutters play a vital role in redirecting rainwater or melted snow from your roof into drainage systems. They prevent water from building up on your roof or creating pools near the foundation of your infrastructure which could otherwise cause costly damage. Overall, installing a gutter system makes sense but have you considered adding gutter guards?
What are gutter guards and how can they be beneficial to your home or commercial building? Keep reading to find out why you should consider gutter guard installation Melbourne property owners have done on their gutter systems with great success!
What are Gutter Guards?
Not many homeowners or commercial property owners know what gutter guards are and why they should be considering them for their buildings. Gutter guards essentially prevent or reduce leaves and other debris from going into your gutters. They act as a barrier against blockages that could result in insufficient draining of water from your roof.
Gutter guards prevent blockages in the downspouts and underground drainage systems while reducing the amount of maintenance required to keep your roof in good condition.
There are various types of gutter guards available on the market and they include:
- Polyguard gutter guards: This suits all types of gutters by working as a filter, making them most suitable for gutter systems that feed rainwater harvesting tanks.
- External mesh gutter guards: Made with steel or plastic, these are suitable for most gutter types.
- Steel mesh gutter guards: These are bendable, making them suitable for custom box gutters and can be applied to most other types of gutters as well.
- Box and concealed gutter guards: Specifically engineered for box and concealed gutters.
- Internal plastic gutter guards: A basic and cost-effective design for most types of gutters.
- Brush gutter guards: Suitable for most gutter types but not for larger box gutters.
Before deciding which gutter guard you need for your gutters, call an expert to do a full inspection. Before installing gutter guards, your gutters need to be inspected for rust, other damage or stagnant water. If they show signs of damage, your gutters need to be repaired or replaced before installing gutter guards.
3 Benefits of Installing Gutter Guards on Your Home or Commercial Building Gutters
1. Save Time and Money
Gutters work well to prevent water damage to your roof and the surrounding areas of your property. But, if you don’t do regular inspections of your gutters and clean them often it won’t take long for leaves, twigs, seeds and other debris to block them.
Installing gutter guards saves you the time-consuming task of checking your gutters after every storm and removing the buildup of debris. Gutter guards are easier to clean than trying to clear out clogged gutters, saving you time AND money!
Furthermore, gutter guards save you money by preventing costly water or debris damage to your gutters. You can reduce costs even more thanks to not requiring roofing inspections and gutter maintenance as often as before. Have peace of mind your gutter guards are keeping your gutters clean for the free flow of water!
2. Prevents Pest Infestations
Vermin such as mice and insects like to breed in places such as your gutters! You can prevent an infestation by installing gutter guards, making it harder for pests to enter these spaces. Gutter guard installation also prevents the following common problems:
- Buildup of stagnant water: Gutters full of stagnant water will attract pests such as mosquitos and other insects who will use your gutters for breeding.
- Buildup of leaves and twigs: Gutters full of debris such as leaves and twigs make them attractive to birds, bats, squirrels and rodents looking for a place to build nests and to breed.
- Easy access to roof space: Creatures such as rodents and other pests can access your roof space if the gutters aren’t securely covered.
With the right gutter guard installation, you can minimise pest infestations in your home or commercial building.
3. Extends the Lifespan of Your Gutters
Exposure to rainfall and debris buildup makes gutters vulnerable to rusting and premature corrosion if they’re not well maintained. Gutter guards can extend the lifespan of your gutters by acting as a physical barrier against debris that could result in blocked gutters and the buildup of stagnant water.
Gutter guards ensure there’s a free flow of water, reducing the risk of rust and corrosion taking place in your gutters. With improved water flow, your gutters can work efficiently for longer without becoming clogged or damaged too soon.
Gutter guard installations can prevent water from freezing in your gutters and fire embers from igniting debris buildup! Gutter guards play a vital role in protecting your home or commercial building from unexpected mishaps, saving you from costly losses or damages to your infrastructure.
When picking gutter guards experts to install them, ensure that the company offers full insurance coverage on their work and materials plus quality service. This gives you peace of mind that your gutter system stays optimally functional even during the worst Melbourne storms!